The first video I published on YouTube (on Angular.JS directives and data-binding) seemed to be going very well. This made me easily fall into the issue I avoided before, which is worrying too much about what might follow. To get that worry off me, I chose a simple topic targeting different audience, recorded and edited it in one night, and just published.
This video targets Google Chrome user. It shows a productivity tip that I heavily rely on on my daily PC usage. I have many application-like websites pinned to my taskbar, ranging from TweetDeck to Outlook 365 Web Access. In this video, I simply show how to create these icons. the video is only about 5 minutes in length.
There are several things I need to work on to make these experiments more useful (and fun) for everybody. Mainly I need to get used to talking to the mic so that I don’t get that dry throat that I don’t usually have even when facing many people in my offline live events, but also, I need to find topics that YOU guys and ladies are interested in. I’ll try to stick with short videos for now, but please, if you have any idea for the next video, just let me know, and I promise to consider it seriously.
So, my wife has been encouraging me to get this starting over the past 4 years or so. I was more busy with offline groups at first, followed by traveling to work in different countries, and then later all sorts of new stuff I wanted to learn around .NET, software craft in general, and web development and trends. At last, I started, and uploaded my first YouTube video.
To make sure I actually get to the point where I have something to upload, I used the Minimum Viable Product approach. I looked for a simple topic that I still think you guys might be interested in, I spent some time on editing the video but still didn’t wait till I’m 100% happy about the quality (particularly of my own voice) before publishing. The idea is that if I continue to do this I might be able to get more out soon and practice will naturally increase the quality. Was that the right way to do it? Only your feedback can tell!
Like the previous Visual Studio update, you get a very small EXE file, which you run to download the update from the Internet, install it, and then delete it. This means that if you need to install the update on multiple machines, you may need to download it multiple times.
In this post, I’ll show you how to get the EXE to download the files to a known location so that you can use it on multiple machines, my sample update will be Visual Studio 2012 Update 2.
Offline Download Instructions
Download the standard small EXE file, for VS 2012 Update 2, the filename is VS2012.2.exe
Open a command window at the same folder you downloaded the EXE to
One easy way to do it is open the folder with Windows Explorer, and write "powershell" (or "cmd" for standard command prompt – both without quotes) in address bar
One way to allow community to contribute to EF Migrations is allow us to create more `MigrationOperation`s.
For example, people can then add things like full text index, etc., things that are not in the core EF Migrations and are just boring SQL statements that need to be combined together.
Currently, to build a provider agnostic `MigrationOperation`, you need to write the SQL generated for the operation in a class derived from `MigrationSqlGenerator`. If you want to add `CreateFullTextCatalog` operation and support SQL Server for example, you inherit `SqlServerMigrationSqlGenerator`, add a `Generate` method for your operation, and ensure all other operations generators are still called from the base class.
Not just that thius is ugly, but now the `MigrationConfiguration` has to use your generator for `SqlClient` provider, the `SetGenerator` and `GetGenerator` methods in ‘MigrationConfiguration` only deal with one generator per DB-type provider.
All blogs and news websites provide some sort of aggregation feed, usually RSS or ATOM. This allows users to add the feed URL to their favourite aggregator and stay updated with future stuff when they come. This post shows how to get a URL to subscribe to, and how to get multiple URLs if the site provides multiple formats.
Here is what you get when you run the code against wordpress.com:
A few notes on this approach:
You must have realised the `Where` check in the code, the library seems to capture any `related` link in the HTMl, not just syndication links. that’s why we needed to filter them explicitly
Quite often when you have a main site that has different branches, you get more than one feed link, for CNN for example you get different feeds for certain site languages, for wordpress.com you got one for the site itself and another for members of the service. Arguably, this is not always what you want when you add the site to a reader kind of application